Thursday, September 22, 2011

First World Problems and Adoption

I will admit that I am guilty of complaining about first world problems.  If you don't know what I am talking about  jump over to the Kinnell's blog and look at this post.



I am heartbroken right now.  I am seeing more and more complaints about "first world problems" from our daughter adopted from a third world country.  When she came home she had such a serving heart.  Now I have to hear MANY times a day how neglectful we are because we are not letting her have a cell phone, laptop computer and new clothes.   She is ELEVEN years old.   Seriously, why does an eleven year old NEED a cell phone.  Who are they going to call??  If she needs to call someone she can use our house phone.  She has been home a little over a year and honestly I am devastated.  I don't know what to do or where we messed up.  

We are fighting a HUGE battle right now for our daughter's heart.   One of the biggest lessons we try to teach our children is that this world is not about US.  It is not about living, acting, and having what everyone else has.  It is about loving and serving others.  It is a hard lesson to teach when almost ALL of the kids her ago DO have cell phone and laptop computers and new expensive clothes.  Sadly, that is just the area we live in. 

I could really use so advice here.   Anyone have suggestions or wisdom to share?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment