Monday, June 30, 2008

Well, today we received word that we can start making travel arrangements. We are expecting an Embassy appointment for July 29th. So we plan to catch a plane on July 26th to Ethiopia to be united with two very beautiful little boys.

For all of our family and friends we will be collecting donations for the orphanage between now and our travel date. Please see the list on the left for what items are needed.


Saturday, June 28, 2008

So many of you are probably wondering, "When are we bringing our babies home?" Well, we are wondering the same thing. Why is it the good news is always followed by bad news. Just a few days after receiving the news that we passed court we were told that because of power outages our papers will be delayed. Basically after we pass court new birth certificates and court documents need to be printed and taken to the US Embassy to request an appointment to get their immigration approval. So we are waiting again????????????? We are hoping to receive news on Monday that our papers have been filed and we have an Embassy appointment. My fear is that because of the delay in the paper processing we could get an Embassy appointment as far off as sometime in August. Jacob's 1st birthday is on July 31st and I was hoping to have him home for a big birthday celebration. I am trying to remind myself that God's timing is perfect but it's sooooo hard to wait!


Monday, June 23, 2008

We are excited to annouce that we are officially the parents of Gabriel Lemi Maas and Jacob Josiah Maas. There was a little confusion and we thought court was tomorrow but it was today(last night).

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Well this is a big week for our family. Tuesday our case goes to court in Ethiopia. That is Tuesday Ethiopia time which for us is during the night Monday. I am a big ball of nerves. There are so many things that could happen to delay court. I am also thinking about the birth mothers a lot. I know this is a big decision for them and I am sure very difficult. They have to travel 14 hours under difficult circumstances in sometimes not safe territories.

My prayer for the next few days is for safe travel for the mothers and orphanage staff. Also that the birth mothers have peace that we will love their boys always. I have also been praying that someone will cross the path of these women and share the good news of Jesus Christ with them.

If we pass court on Tuesday then I will be able to share pictures of our beautiful boys. We are hoping to travel about four weeks after we pass court. I hope to post wonderful news on Tuesday so make sure and check back then.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We received more great news today. I received an email this morning saying that Gabriel had arrived in the city. That means he and Jacob are together at last. I am not sure why he was moved but I am glad to know he has made it to Addis safely.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Well, one week from today is our court date, YEAH!!! Which means we could possibly leave to pick up the boys in just 5 weeks. I feel like I am going into labor. Continue to pray for the finances to be there when we get ready to travel. We had hoped to hear from several of the grants we had applied for but have only heard from one. We know that God will provide the funds to bring the boys home so I am not worried.

We received a nice surprise today. More pictures of Jacob!! Although we are excited to get updates on him I feel a little guilty that we cannot get updates on Gabriel. Jacob is now in the city it is easier to get information and Gabriel is still at the orphanage in Kamashi. Jacob looks great. Although it does not look like there has been many changes developmentally he does look much stronger and has better head control.

Here at home things have been rough. We ALL had a stomach virus. I think today I can finally say I feel normal again. The kids are slowly coming around and I think tomorrow will be a better day. I spent the day today decontaminating the house. I think you could probably smell the Clorox and disinfectant a mile away.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Here is a video clip about the struggle of Ethiopian parents who are trying to feed their children. Please, Please, Please consider giving money to an organization that is feeding the children.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

We have received some GREAT NEWS! Our adoption case has been submitted to the Ethiopian courts and we have received a court date for June 24th. We do not personally attend court but an Ethiopian representative will go in our place. Also attending court will be the orphanage director and the birth mothers of our two boys. Although we are very excited about actually having a court date we are very aware that many things could happen to delay court. For example, there could be no electricity that day, the birth mothers may not show up, tribal conflict could block the road, or the paperwork may not be accurate. Please continue to pray for God's timing in this process. Pray for the safety of the orphanage staff and birth mothers as they travel the 14 hours to Addis.